Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Much Has Changed



I took this picture last Thursday on 42nd Street in Times Square. Forty years ago this was the red light district. Today, 42nd Street is malls, theaters, a wax museum and souvenir shops. It's more family friendly. 

As I stood there surveying the modern acoustics, I thought of many changes in my life. There was the tearing down of the old,  the inner struggles that I went through, then finally liberation. Change is difficult but necessary. Gentrification has changed the face of the city. I'm not against replaying old decrepit structures but it seems that the city has lost its soul. My own personal transformation has been similar but I have been more in tune with other people's feelings and concerns as well as my own. This is where I have felt the most change.

I'm a much happier individual with the changes made. I know more changes will come. Sometimes the old will rise up in us wanting us to go back to the place we once were; but the fact is that we can never go back. Forty Second Street reminds me of this fact.

No comments: