Sunday, June 08, 2014

Pride Month

We kicked off pride month by having our annual prom last Friday. My spouse ad I danced our tails off. This month has become a traditionally busy one for the church. Today we celebrated Pentecost. Today's service was different with communion, the dance ministry performing and the children's choir singing.

Over the past year many churches have had to deal with the TGLB issues. Some have discovered that there are members within their on congregation who are trans, gay, lesbian, bi, and other gender non conforming identities. Perhaps they knew it all along but kept to the margins. This has been a long time coming. Forty years ago such topics were taboo. Now it come more into the open. I say that it's about time. 

I will beat attending the pride parade serving water to the marchers. Some think that pride marches have lost its relevance because of the corporate sponsors. That much is true. I would love to see the parade show more from the political and activist angle because that side of the picture is coming more to the fore. 

The landscape is changing and I'm happy to be a part of it. Changes are happening in places that were thought difficult. Places like Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama are tackling TGLB issues. I say right on! We are o the march.  

No comments: