Saturday, January 17, 2015

SELMA



My wife and I went to the Magic Johnson Theater to see this movie. It didn't disappoint. It conjured up emotions that I felt back at that time. The bombing of a church at the beginning of the movie shook me as it did back in 1963 when it happened. 

The hatred in some white folks is hard to fathom but when you're bound by ignorance and lies, it's not all that surprising. The movie wasn't overdone or filled with sensationalist clutter. I recommend it to middle and high school students. My concern is that many may not know the history and events that took place during those tumultuous times.



To this day, the courage of those people in the face of death, jail, tear gas, and batons is truly amazing. I still wonder if I could have done what they did.

No comments: