Saturday, August 29, 2015

Candy Darling


Last night my wife and I watched the documentary Beautiful Darling: The Life and Times of Candy Darling, Andy Warhol "Superstar". It was an interesting look at Candy Darling, a transsexual woman who was part of Warhol's Factory, a collection of artists he filmed. Candy, born James Slattery, was born in 1944. I read her biography.

 My wife said that Candy reminded her of Marilyn Monroe. I saw here as a cross between '30s vixen Jean Harlow and Monroe, blonde siren of the 1950s and early 1960s. Candy believed that she could be a star and she did achieve that in some respects. When the 1970s rolled in Candy was tossed aside along with cohorts Jackie Curtis and Holly Woodlawn.  

I liked hearing Candy in her own voice in some of the scenes. I was in the service in the early seventies. Candy died March 21, 1974, two weeks after I got out of the army.  Her good friend Jeremiah Newton was executor of her belongings after Candy's death. Jeremiah was indeed a true friend. 

Beautiful Darling is a good documentary about the times and creative energy of the 1960s and early 1970s and the people who made it happen. Candy certainly did.






No comments: