Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Companionship

Mature love is composed and sustaining; a celebration of commitment, companionship, and trust.

~H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


The subject of companionship came up at my discussion group this past Monday. I'm fortunate that my spouse stayed together after coming out a decade ago. Sadly, this is not true for many transgender women. Dating can be difficult. Would a man want to date a transgender woman? Would she be asked on a second date if she revealed that she is trans? Is the transgender woman resigned to a life of loneliness?

I thought about this over the past couple of days and concluded that no one is resigned to a life of loneliness. I also believe men should NOT be ashamed of dating a transgender woman. We want a mate who will love and respect us as we are. We want to go to a movie, party, or just enjoy a quiet night watching TV. We want to enjoy and live our lives like everyone.

No comments: